This tutorial will show you how to create a project plan with multiple phases. This part of Knowify is used for tracking your costs against budgets. We recommend that you cost out your jobs before you create your contracts or estimates so you can create a more informed bid.
1. While in the “Contract Jobs” module, click on the name of a job you want to estimate.
2. If the contract selected was ‘Maintenance Contract’ or ‘Other Agreement’, please note that you will be able to track materials and labor only after your contract bid is created first.
3. If the contract selected was ‘Owner Contract’ or ‘GC Bid’, and your job costing style is ‘Simple’ or ‘Advanced’, you will be able to track materials and labor only after your contract bid is created first.
4. If the contract selected was ‘Owner Contract’ or ‘GC Bid’, and your job costing style is ‘Professional’, you may begin your project plan immediately.
5. Click on the “Plan & Track” tab to cost out your job.
8. If this is your first project or you want to create a new plan, Click “Add Job Phase” to add your first phase to the job.
9. Note: Knowify’s project plans are built using phases and tasks, we recommend using phases for high level work items (perhaps corresponding to the line items in your bid) and breaking them down into tasks with the actual units of work.
10. Name the phase and give it a start and end date. Input a materials budget (usually an estimate from your takeoff software). To create an itemized budget, click on the “Itemize Materials” link.
11. In an itemized budget, you may add items from searching your catalog or enter them manually.
12. You can add as many phases as you would like. You can also add tasks to break down the phases even further. Note that tasks across all of your projects can be managed from a single location, See the tutorial on Managing Tasks for more.
13. Click “Add Role/Resource” to add employees to the phase or task.
15. Here, you can create a plan for your subcontractor work. Enter in the kind of work that needs to be done, and provide an estimate for the job. As you will be billed in a lump sum, there is no need to track
16. Now scroll to the bottom and click “Save Changes” to save a draft of your project plan
17. After saving you will be able to set dependencies and see the Gantt Chart. You will also be able to make the project plan “Active”. Making a project active just means that Knowify will allow you and your employees to input time and purchases towards this project. We recommend that you wait until you have a signed contract before making the project plan live.